Studio
HOME REPAIR BUY & SELL EQUIPMENT CONTACT





1964 Hagstrom II
Year: 1964
Brand: Hagstrom
Model: II
Class: Guitar
Scale: 24.75
Owner: Jeff Hewitt
Status: In Studio.




DSC03216-640 DSC03299-640 DSC03296-640 DSC03297-640 DSC03264-640 DSC03214-640







I've wanted a Hagstrom since the first time I saw one.
So when I found this one on craigslist, It was perfect.

100_0131-640

It needed a complete restoration, but it was cheap enough.
Since I was going to refinish the guitar I could do any color. My favorite was the Hagstrom blue.
From the neck pocket it as evident that this guitar was coincidentally originally blue.

DSC02947-640 DSC02948-640

The body was in rough condition, but intact.
The pick guard had been painted black, and had ben cut out for a after market Japanese neck pickup.

DSC02946-640 DSC02943-640

The electronics were original, other than the neck pickup.
The original volume knob was even there.

DSC02945-640 DSC02963-640

The tremvar vibrato was in rough condition.
The chrome plating was worn though, but it was complete even the vibrato arm.

DSC02933-640 DSC02934-640

The neck would be the real work on this project.
The neck was spit the entire length, exposing the expander truss rod.

DSC02936-640 DSC02937-640

DSC02938-640 DSC02941-640 DSC02951-640

Hagstrom had very thin necks and cracking isn't uncommon, but this was an extreme case.
The Hagstrom expander is a great truss rod system. So much so that Hagstrom originally offered a 10 yr guarantee against warping.

Even with the extent of the damage, this neck was still straight.
I decided to give repairing it. So I began with the gluing and clamping using the strongest glue I had.

DSC02952-640 DSC02953-640 DSC02954-640

The headstock had began to crack, so it was easy enough to glue and clamp.

DSC03011-640 DSC03013-640

After the glue had dried, the neck was sanded smooth.

DSC03003-640 DSC03004-640 DSC03005-640

DSC03007-640 DSC03008-640 DSC03009-640

DSC03050-640 DSC03051-640 DSC03046-640

The body was sanded primed and prepped.
Due to the extent of the neck damage it would color coded to the guitar.

DSC03119-640 DSC03120-640
DSC03123-640 DSC03215-640

I decided I could repair the neck pickup section of the pickguard. I used a product called plastic mend, it came out pretty good. I rebuilt the section, using the bridge pickup as a model.

DSC02961-640 DSC03040-640 DSC03041-640
DSC03042-640 DSC03044-640 DSC03049-640

I modified a duo-sonic reissue neck pickup to mount in the neck position.

DSC03211-640 DSC03213-640

Due to the body style and pickguard this was originally either a Futurama or a transition Hagstrom II.
Futurama decals are unheard of, so I decided it would be badged a Hagstrom II. Hagstrom headstock decals are hard to find.
Since I couldn't find one, I could make my own if I could find a high resolution image of the headstock decal.
While looking for a good image I came across a great image of the original "kings neck" sticker.
I went ahead and did the image work and printed a set, they came out prefect.


DSC03229-640 DSC03231-640

While looking for the head stock logo, I came across a high res scan of the vintage Hagstrom name. Using this logo and some photoshop magic, I was able to make one.

DSC03232-640 DSC03234-640

When I laquored the headstock, the color of the paint changed. This was no doubt due to age and type of laquor I ued, it had a yellow tint.
It came out looking very vintage. Since the majority of the guitar parts were "aged", I decided to laquor the whole guitar.
It really gave it a great vintage look. It' made the finish a perfect match to the vintage paint in the neck pocket.


DSC03259-640 DSC03264-640
DSC03296-640 DSC03297-640

I continued the "aged" look with the pick guard, leaving some cracks and yellowing in sections.
The headstock decal worked out so well I decided to use the technique to restore the missing text and graphics on the control plate.
Again I removed some of the decal so it appears vintage.


DSC03209-640 DSC03210-640

The original neck plate was missing.
This means really have no way to date this instrument other than by the style which places it 1963-64.
Hagstrom used a 3 hole neck plate so finding one would be difficult. Dad had some stainless the correct thickness, so we cut one out the proper shape. I drilled the then counter sunk the holes and polished the plate.

DSC03303-640

Among the short list of missing parts was the string hold down and the bridge. I simply polished an aluminum rod I already had and cut it to size. A couple of well placed holes and the string tree looks great.

DSC03311-640

Two of the six original tuners were missing, the rest were rusted solid, so I will be replacing them with an after market set. To preserve the style and look of the guitar I opted to use an old set of tuners from the parts bin. I decided to remove the back cover plates and leave them as open tuners. This way it would look more vintage and original.

DSC03312-640DSC03313-640

2009-04-17: The bridge is a hard to find item. I opted for a modern roller bridge replacement, I think the style really fits the instrument. The original bridge bushings had to be remove, this is easily accomplished with the proper size and thread bolt. The original brass bushings were fairly small in comparison to everything I've found on the market today. The bushing holes would needed to be drilled out. To avoid damaging the finished body I used my drill set on reverse. Since there were a holes already this is a great slow and steady way to make the holes larger. It worked great, the bushings mounted right up and the bridge works great.

DSC03298-640


  Copyright © HewittsGarageStudio.com, all rights reserved